Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Work, sweat, and tears

This is my first week "back at work."
I'm only working two afternoons and one full day a week, but it has been a bit of an adjustment already. John naps whenever he gets tired, usually going down sometime between 11 and 2 and sleeping for two hours or so. When we're just hanging out, running errands, or visiting friends, that works just fine. I make sure he has a two hour chunk of time in there and we're all good. 
Well, yesterday, he got tired right at 11, so I put him down right away. It would have been fine if he woke up at 1 (I had to be at work by 1:30), but of course, he didn't. So, I had to wake him up from his nap. Pearl helped me wake him, so he was very happy when he woke up and had a great time at Amanda's the whole time I was working. 
However, his cut-short-nap time meant that he was really cranky and tired by the time we got home after grocery shopping after work. When he went to bed, he just didn't sleep well. Usually, he'll go down around 8:30 and sleep straight through the night until about 8:30. Last night he woke up crying and upset around 9:30 and then fussed about 4-5 more times through the night. 
After his restless night of sleep, I had to wake him up at 8 this morning so we could leave again. Pearl helped me wake him up again, so he was a happy camper, but still a little groggy. He spent the day at Kelly's and unfortunately didn't nap well because he and Brendan went back and forth crying/waking each other up. He fell asleep in the carseat on the say home and, knowing he was exhausted, I picked him up carefully and just laid right down with him. He slept for about 40 minutes and then woke up crying. He kept crying no matter what we did and then went and hid behind the chair in his room, just sobbing. Eric finally rocked him back to sleep and he slept for another hour (6:30-7:30, way off schedule). When he woke up, he was just crying and screaming again. He wouldn't eat or drink anything, didn't want to be rocked or held, didn't want to be on the ground. We force-changed his diaper because we couldn't figure out what was wrong. Force fed him a teething tablet in hopes that that would help, but he just kept crying. I started to worry that something was seriously wrong with him. Poor little guy. 
After about 10 minutes of that, he noticed Sam sitting in his bed and pointed to him, while crying. I bent over and started to pet Sam while holding John. Out of nowhere, he stopped crying and started giggling and petting Sam. Then he walked over to the table, climbed in his chair, and started feeding himself the applesauce that he had refused five minutes earlier. After that, he was just joyful for the next hour and half. He played, hid, ate, talked, chased, and giggled. He drank his bottle, helped clear the table, filled his diaper, brushed his teeth, and cuddled up to listen to his Bible story all without a tear or sob. If only I could understand what goes through that little head of his.

Oh, and we can't forget the sweat...
After putting him to bed, I was watching him on our handy-dandy-freebie video-baby monitor. He rolled over and pulled the whole blanket over his head. After waving his arm in a lack-luster attempt to remove the blanket, he gave up and went to sleep. A few minutes later I snuck in and gently removed the blanket from its suffocating position. John was dripping in sweat and all of his hair was matted down to his head. What a funny little boy.

If you get a chance, pray that our continued transition to the school year goes smoothly for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment