Typically when I "get ready" for the day, I shower with my kid in the shower with me or waiting for me to finish by patiently banging on the door or crying to come in with me, meaning I rush through the shower, leaving no time to shave my legs. After that I get him minimally diapered and try to run a brush through or throw some gel in my hair before it dries into a frizzball. Then I throw on some clothes that will cover my stomach, try to feed John something while keeping my clothes clean, pack up John's stuff, and head out the door. There is occasionally some variance, but that's the pattern.
Last night, shortly before bedtime, John smashed his finger. His nail was purple and the only thing I could think of to calm him down was taking a shower with him. So, we hopped in. Sure enough, it calmed him down, and soon enough he was giggling, splashing, washing his belly, and "helping" me shower. Because this wasn't a regularly scheduled shower time, I didn't wash my hair. When we got out, I realized how tangly the ends of my hair were. Yup: dead ends. Since I haven't had a proper haircut since well before John was born, I decided it was time. I brushed it out, threw it in a pony-tail, and chopped off the bottom inch or two. Since it was evening and I had no meals to force feed, bags to pack, or places to rush to, I decided to blow dry my hair to check out how I did. It was as even as I could want (which usually happens with the pony-tail chop), but just to double check, I even straightened it. Now you should know that this is probably the most time I've spent on my hair since... well, I can't remember... a long time ago.
Anyway, this morning, I didn't shower and instead kept my hair straight. I wore an incredibly comfortable, but nice looking black dress, some pantyhose that must have fit right because they didn't bother me all day, and my black boots.
As a result of a little extra time spent on myself, I got something that every mom and woman deserves now and then. I felt beautiful today.


I'm really impressed with that hair cut...and that baby girl :). Love you!!
ReplyDeleteThanks April!
Delete