Monday, November 11, 2013

Substitutes

As a recent college grad subbing in the inner city, I was prepared to ward off advances by high school boys, but was a bit taken aback when a first grader approached me at recess and asked "Do you have my phone number?"
Attempting to avoid being given his number, I responed "I could probably look it up in the phone book if I ever need it."
"Well, you should keep it with you all the time in case, you know... you need anything. Anything at all," he said suggestively. 
My curiosity engaged, I asked "And what would you do if I needed something?"
"Well," he looked around to make sure no one was listening, leaned in, and smugly informed me: "I'm a ninja."

I wrote this a while back and was going to send it in to Reader's Digest, but I forgot and just came across it again so instead, it's on my blog!

1 comment:

  1. oh, you need to submit this. to some educator's magazine, to the Banner, to Reader's Digest. It's ninja-good! love mom

    ReplyDelete