Thursday, May 21, 2015

Compliments

When I was in first grade, I was in love with my teacher. Miss E. was the best teacher in the entire world. She was fun, energetic, consistent, and I learned so much. She knew songs and poetry. She did art. She let us write on the chalkboard for phonics time. She pushed me on the swings at recess time. She knew poems like the Boa Constrictor and the Sugar Plum Fairy. She had long, beautiful, flowing dark brown, almost black hair and big brown eyes. I wanted to be just like her. 
For Mother's Day, we wrote in our journals about us and our mothers. I also drew a picture of my mom and me. In my picture, both my mother and I look exactly like Miss E. 
In reality, my mom had light brown hair and blue eyes. I had blond hair and blue eyes. In my journal, my mom and I both had long flowing black hair and big brown eyes. We were holding hands wearing matching dresses that looked suspiciously like one of Miss E.'s dresses. Needless to say, I thought highly of the woman.  

Today I was working with Sydney's small group. Sydney is a high-energy, hard-working, unconditionally-loving, wonderfully-independent, and fully-latina first grader. While we were reading and discussing a levelled reader, she looked up at me and said "Mrs. Roosma, when I'm una grande, I want ojos azules just like yours. They're so bright!" (with the word bright she did a hand motion to demonstrate just how they shine and rolled her "r" a little extra because that's what she always does). A few minutes later, it was time for them to clean up and go to lunch. She stood next to the table and when I stood up, gave me a big hug around my waist and said, "I'll miss you Miss Roosma!" (yes, she tells me that she will miss me when she goes to lunch for half an hour).

I don't think Sydney realized it, but of all the compliments and encouragements that I have received this year, this one is the most valued. Maybe she doesn't think of me like I did of Miss E., but if even a teeny-tiny part of her admires me the way that I admired Miss E, then I must be doing something right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment