Monday, April 29, 2013

My son the separatist

John is almost a year old and already makes his desires clearly known. His most extreme showings occur at meal times. This kid loves food. In fact, I haven't found much that he won't eat; I have, however, learned that he prefers to eat his food in a particular manner: separated.
I first realized this a few months ago when I gave him mixed veggies for dinner. He kept throwing pieces on the floor, so finally I separated each type of veggie into a different section of his tray to see what would happen. He first at all the carrots, then all of the corn, then all of the beans, etc. it's not that he didn't want all of the vegetables that were there, he just wanted to know exactly what to expect with each bite. He's not so big on mixing favors.
This week, I noticed his separatist tendencies a few different times. When I gave him a bowl with dry Cheerios, chopped up strawberries, and some blackberries for breakfast, he ate all of the blackberries, then all of the Cheerios, then all of the strawberries. It's not that he didn't like one of them, he just needed to know exactly what to expect.
Today, while trying to finish off some of he leftover food from the cottage last week, I let John gnaw on a ham sandwich. This kid decided the way to eat a sandwich was to take it apart, pull off all of the toppings, set the bread aside, and eat each topping one by one, cheese first of course. When he finished all of the toppings, he moved on to the bread.
What a weirdo.

(This coming from his mother who mixes her food or makes sure there are equal amounts of everything left so that she can have the perfect combination of flavors with every bite. Maybe we're all weird in our own way.)

3 comments:

  1. I recall that his mother separated her food before eating it. (She may have switched up the order of what she ate first, but mixed food was not met with enthusiasm...) hmmm. nature? or nurture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to remember the same thing as mom. And you totally had (have?) a thig about textures.
    I remember you taking forever to eat because every piece of food and every bite had to be just perfect or you would have a melt down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the mixed vegetables is EXACTLY what you did. It drove me crazy! ( :

    ReplyDelete