Wendell is the three-year-old son of two intellectuals. (His mother is a tenured prof with her doctorate at Calvin; his father runs the Writing Center at Kuyper and is completing his masters).
Wendell has a LOT of questions.
Why doesn't the dog eat his food now?
Maybe he's not hungry right now.
Why is he not hungry right now?
He already ate once today.
Why did he already eat once today?
Um... I don't know. Because he was hungry.
Did you see him eat his food today?
No; he doesn't like to eat in front of me.
Why does he not like to eat in front of you?
He's kind of shy.
Why is he shy?
I don't know why. What do you think Wendell?
You tell me.
Well, I just don't know.
Why is that light off and the other one on?
Well, that light bulb is burnt out.
Why is it burnt out?
After a long time, they just stop working.
Why do they stop working?
Well, there's a filament in the light bulb and after a while it burns out.
Why does it burn out?
We proceed to lesson about light bulb involving a candle, wick, light bulb removal/comparison, and lots of questions. His dad arrives partway through our lesson and tells me that they often say "Because that's the way it is" now instead of explaining things. I understand why!
Wendell has a curiosity that can get to be frustrating! I know these questions seem to be important to him, but to be perfectly honest, he does not NEED to know the answers to these questions. I can provide for all of his needs without having to explain how the entire world works. He just needs to chill out and trust me when I tell him things are OK and not to worry.
Here's the thing: Wendell is not the only one who is going through this stage. Here's a few lines from some other conversations I've had lately:
Why can't you just make it clear what you want us to do?
Why does Eric's job have to be so frustrating some of the time?
Why is raising a child so difficult?
Why is it so easy to be unhealthy and take so much attention and work to be healthy?
Why does being a good steward have to be so difficult; can't you just make it easy?
Why doesn't our money seem to stretch far enough?
Why did their baby have to die?
Why is there so much sickness?
Why? Why? Why?
I'm sure that at times, God thinks that I sound like a 3 year old. I wonder how often he gets frustrated with me and thinks wonders why I don't realize that I don't NEED to know the answers to these questions. He can provide for MY needs without having to explain how the entire world works. I just need to chill out and trust HIM when he tells me that He is in control and that I don't need to worry.
While I was thinking about all of this, I remembered yet ANOTHER person who asked God a bunch of questions and found a similar answer. Job was a man who saw and experienced a great deal more suffering and trials than I ever have. He asked God "Why?"
Then, God speaks:
"Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me."
He goes on to point out all of mysteries of the world that HE created. Basically, God responds by saying that Job knows jack squat. There are so many things that Job does not know about how this world was formed or how nature works. Like Wendell's parents, God tells Job "Because that's the way it is."
Then Job realizes:
“I am unworthy—how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth.
I spoke once, but I have no answer— twice, but I will say no more.”...
I spoke once, but I have no answer— twice, but I will say no more.”...
"Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know."
Wendell constant (and eventually frustrating) questioning made me realize how I sometimes sound. It's not my place to ask God why he made the world the way he did. It's not my job to question his justice or condemn Him to justify myself. I have no claim against Him that he must pay. Everything under heaven belongs to Him. It's my job to trust him, to follow his will for my life, and to give him glory in everything that I do. It's a good thing that I am NOT God, I wouldn't be able to handle that job. Thank goodness that my Daddy in Heaven is looking over everything.
Written on March 15, 2013
I like that you post more regularly than other blogs I follow. :) And thanks for these thoughts. The analogy of Wendell's questions helped me connect to those thoughts in a new way...
ReplyDeleteIf you want to see an even more regularly posted-on blog you should click the "What I do" tab on the top and prepare for the mundane...
ReplyDeleteI used this blog as an example in my Sunday School class today.
ReplyDelete