Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Teething

I had a really shitty day today. I woke up with a throbbing headache and couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe if I took a shower and got cleaned up it would help. Nope. I tried taking a nap, eating food, doing some exercise, changing the temperature, ignoring it, and quite a few other things. Nothing worked.

The whole time I had this headache, everything seemed to be horrible. John (who never lays still for diaper changes) almost made me cry every time I tried to change him. I watched a friend's kid for a few hours and his cry seemed almost unbearable. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't just go to sleep at nap time! I ran out of eggs when I was trying to make dinner and it seemed like the end of the world. Sam chewed up some of my chapstick and it made me so mad! If I didn't know any better, I would blame it on PMS, but nope, it was just the headache's fault.

Finally, I gave in and took some Excedrin. Once it kicked in, my head felt 95% better and the world seemed to be a place I could once again enjoy. But there was still that 5% pain in my head. Suddenly I realized that the source of the pain was localized to two tiny little sections: the square centimeter on either side of my gums in which my top wisdom teeth have been working their way out.

Seriously? All that pain and frustration from two little teeth? Yup. Teething sucks. Now that I know what is causing this discomfort, I am able to find some remedies to help sooth the pain. But it took me (a full-grown adult) about 9 hours to realize those two little teeth were ruining my day. Imagine what teething feels like to my ten-month-old son. He probably thinks nobody loves him, everyone is out to get him, and the world is going to end. I completely understand why he sleeps less, crabs more, and constantly wants to be held and comforted when those little teeth are moving around.

Kids are tough.



No comments:

Post a Comment